- Strategic communications professional with expertise in sustainability, CSR, ecosystem services, program management, cross-sector partnerships, and employee engagement. Track record of delivering collateral, campaigns, and programs that spark engagement, raise awareness, and inspire action.
- Experienced program director with more than 20 years of experience launching and promoting cross-sector partnerships, including the California Environmental Dialogue, Curb Your Carbon, MomentUS and the Institute at the Golden Gate. Proven ability to juggle many balls at once, partner with business, and nurture successful programs.
Harvard University, Master of Public Administration
Yale University, Master of Environmental Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A. in Environmental Studies
Principal Consultant, November 1997 – present, San Francisco, California
Senior consultant managing corporate, university, and NGO communications projects ranging from Mattel to Plantronics to University of California, San Francisco to the Business Social Compliance Initiative. Recent projects include:
- Mattel: Managed the design and implementation of an employee engagement program. Increased engagement and visibility of sustainability.
- University of San Francisco: Successful launch of University of San Francisco’s Office of Sustainability. Increased brand awareness, enhanced engagement, and raised visibility and credibility.
- Haas School of Business Center for Responsible Business: Promoted the Haas School of Business Center for Responsible Business’s 10-year anniversary event, resulting in record attendance. Supported a successful crowdfunding campaign, raising over $250,000 for the Haas SRI Fund.
- University of California, San Francisco: Create compelling, original content for UCSF’s sustainability Website. Increased UCSF’s profile as a sustainability leader, improved Website traffic, and increased action. Placed blog posts in leading green business blogs, including GreenBiz and Triple Pundit.
- Trust for Public Land: Supporting the Trust for Public Land’s grant writing needs in California, with a focus on large, complex grants for land acquisition, restoration, and urban greening.
- Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI): Crafted the text for its annual report for the past few years, including highlighting success stories, challenges, and best practices for socially responsible supply chains.
Institute at the Golden Gate
Program Director, One Year Contract Position, San Francisco, California
A key player in the design and launch of the Institute at the Golden Gate—a public-private partnership between the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, the National Parks Service, and Cavallo Point, a new green hotel and conference facility.
California Environmental Dialogue
Program Director, November 1996 – April 1999, San Francisco, California
Played a critical role in the design and implementation of the California Environmental Dialogue, a series of successful stakeholder dialogues that brought corporate leaders, from businesses such as Bank of America, Disney, Chevron, Hewlett Packard, and PG&E, together with governmental and nonprofit leaders, including Trust for Public Land, The Nature Conservancy, and Audubon.
Senior Project Manager, September 1995 – October 1997, San Francisco, California
Part of the original team that helped launch Sustainable Conservation, now a leader in developing environmental solutions that make economic sense. Focused on the development of strategies that maximized conservation while providing an economic return. Worked with Wells Fargo to help sell a 60,000-acre ranch with conservation values in the Central Valley to The Nature Conservancy. Left to help start the California Environmental Dialogue (CED).
Environmental Science Associates
Senior Associate, December 1989 – June 1994, San Francisco, California
Managed a variety of multidisciplinary environmental projects for local governments to assess the environmental impacts of development projects. Responsible for the oversight of million-dollar budgets and large, professional teams.
Santa Barbara County, Department of Resources Management
Energy Planner, September 1985 – November 1988, Santa Barbara, California
Analyzed impacts associated with major offshore oil and gas development projects. Worked with oil companies to develop and implement mitigation measures to offset impacts. Helped design and implement Exxon’s Mitigation Monitoring Program.
WRITING & VIDEO SAMPLES
- Check out these 6 novel ways to empower employees
- 4 Reasons the Pope’s Encyclical Sparks a Rare Chance for Change
- 3 Tips for Transforming Hospital Food into Something more Sustainable
- Green Happens Here and Beloved in Nature: Co-produced both these videos for University of San Francisco, as well as created messaging, brand, and collateral. See videos HERE.
“Deborah’s marketing and communications acumen combined with her sustainability content expertise helped attract a record crowd to our 10-Year Anniversary event. Deborah was proactive, positive and personable in her approach.” Top qualities: Great Results, Personable and Creative. Jo Mackness, Senior Assistant Dean, Haas School of Business
“I partnered with Deborah on a major research report several years ago and was duly impressed by her many abilities: to interview a diverse set of stakeholders, synthesize the information, conduct in-depth research, and think strategically about sustainability. Deborah is an all-around great asset who can provide value to any organization, company, or project.” Joel Makower, Chairman and Executive Editor at GreenBiz Group
“Green Impact supported ecoAmerica launch its MomentUS program, crafting the initial structure for our cross-sector partnerships and writing success stories that highlight best practices for engaging Americans in climate change. Bob Perkowitz, President, ecoAmerica